Study in Finland

Features regarding study in Finland:

  • Central Government Education system
  • No application fee
  • Bank Statement only 7 Lacs
  • IELTS 6.5

Finnish education system was ranked best in the world in 2012 (the Learning Curve, Parsons).Finnish students are highly motivated to study. Unlike in most countries, students also have a real influence on the quality of education. There is legislation in place that allows them exceptional influence in developing their institutions and studies together with their teachers. Studying in Finland is regarded as relatively independent.

Destination Finland

Finland is situated in northern Europe and its neighboring countries are Sweden, Norway and Russia. Finland represents both the Nordic democracy and its way of life as a member of the European Union. Equality is the essential driving force in our society. We have one of the most advanced educational systems in the world, and as a result of our innovative mindset and investment in education, we are blessed with a high standard of living and quality of life. Newsweek magazine rated Finland as the best country in the world to live in and the capital Helsinki came out top among the major cities rated in Monocle magazine’s Quality of Life Survey. Finland’s high educational standards were cited among the crucial factors in both of these comparative surveys. Whilst being a globally leading country in the field of information technology, Finland also boasts gender equality and low levels of corruption. As a society it is transparent and open, and education is always considered to be a top-priority.

High quality education

Finnish higher educational institutions are notably autonomous but largely funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture. Therefore the Ministry also oversees the quality of teaching carefully. These efficiently managed institutions:

  • React to the needs of the society, business and industry in their curricula and teaching
  • Provide a wide range of high-quality programmes in English for exchange and degree students at all levels of education
  • Give their students transferrable skills on which they can build their future both in academic fields and in the private job market.
    Language requirements
  • To apply, you need to prove your English language proficiency
  • IELTS or TOEFL are the most commonly accepted tests, but other options may also be   offered
  • English proficiency requirements are degree course specific, so you must check ALL the details with the university/degree programme you’re applying to.

Exemption from English language tests?

If you have completed your previous education/qualification in English, you may –depending on your nationality/the country where your previous qualifications were completed- be exempt from the language test requirement. Citizens of EU/EEA countries may also fall under this category. Whether you can be considered exempt or not depends on the policy of the university/UAS, so if in doubt you must check with the Admissions Office of the institution you’re applying to.

Eligibility criteria for higher education

Applying to Bachelor’s programmes

  • Hold educational certificates that make you eligible to apply for higher education in your home country
  • Fulfill the language skills requirements (and other possible programme-specific requirements) as set by the receiving institution
  • Successfully pass an entrance examination

If you are admitted, it may be possible for you to receive some credit point compensation based on your previous higher education studies, but this you should negotiate with the Finnish higher education institution after you’ve been admitted. It is up to the policies and decisions of the individual higher education institutions whether such credit point compensation can be awarded.

Applying to Master’s programmes

  • Hold an undergraduate degree that makes you eligible to apply for Master’s level in the country where this undergraduate degree was issued
  • Fulfill the language skills requirements (and other possible programme-specific requirements) as set by the receiving institution

Entrance exams are not common on the Master’s level, but they may be required e.g. for some UAS Master’s or arts-related subjects. Check this and the other detailed entry requirements directly with the university/UAS offering the Master’s you’re interested in.

 The academic year in Finland

You can apply for most of the Bachelor´s level studies conducted in English in joint application to higher education, in the first application period. These application periods include programmes starting in autumn 2015:

  • In the first application period from 7 January to 27 January 2015 you apply for Universities and Polytechnics/UAS Bachelor´s level studies conducted in English and University of Arts Helsinki’s programmes.
  • The second period from 17 March to 9 April 2015 includes other Universities’ and Polytechnics’ degree programmes that are mainly conducted in Finnish and Swedish.
  • Autumn term (the start of the academic year; from late August/early September to mid-December approximately)
  • Spring term (from early January to the end of May).

Note that Bachelor’s level studies conducted in English are mainly provided by polytechnics / UAS. There are only few Bachelor’s level studies conducted in English in Universities

Tuition fees

  • Currently, no tuition fees are charged – regardless of your nationality
  • However you must independently cover all your living expenses – you will therefore need to think carefully about financing your studies in Finland

Plans to introduce tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students in 2016 abandoned

There are currently no tuition fees charged in Finland. In October 2014, the Finnish government suggested that tuition fees might be introduced to non-EU/EEA students from 2016 onwards. However, the Finnish government has now abandoned the plans, see the section “Recent News” on this site. The debate on tuition fees is likely to continue in some form or another in the future, but at least for now this means there are no plans to introduce tuition fees in Finland.

Cost of living

When applying for their student residence permit, international students (non-EU/EEA students) need to show that they have at least 560€ per month (6720€ per year) at their disposal. This is the absolute minimum required by the immigration authorities, but we recommend that you reserve at least 700-900 Euros per month.


  • Only For Post Graduate/ Masters Program
    GPA: S.S.C-3.50 & H.S.C-3.50 & Bachelors-3.20 Minimum (UGC Approved well known University & Public University)


IELTS 6.5 or Certificate of Medium of Instruction in English.

Deadline for Applying Dec 27

  • Photo copy of Passport
  • Police Clearance Certificate
  • CV
  • Transcript should be certified by foreign Ministry & University Register
  • Bachelor degree: Certificate should be certified by foreign Ministry & University Register

Offer Letter would get within 3 months

Yes, you would get both on and Off Campus Jobs.

Part Time Job is Available during study period.

20 hours work permit in a week during study period

Needs to wait at least 6 Months

Yes, after completion of the study program a student gets a 6 months post study visa.

You need to show a Bank statement which is Minimum 2 month old.

After conforming the result

You will need to produce the documents needed to show your spouse’s or civil partner’s status and evidence of your marital or civil partner status (for example, birth or naturalization certificate of Irish spouse, marriage or civil registration certificate).

The time for searching jobs is included in the 6 months stay back option.

how can we help you?

Submit your inquiry online.

Looking for a higher study in Finland?